Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A good day for Baks

It all started as normal with a short journey to the office for an early morning chat and a cigarette. This is a familiar routine and not unlike home. Then, via one or two short stops at other schools, I arrive at my destination school some 15 km away. A joyous ride in the cool 30 degrees of the morning, the rains have dampened down the dirt roads so I no longer arrive orange. A big troop of baboons cross my path about half way – we eye each other cautiously as they scamper away to fade magically into the bush. The birds, with colours even I can see, whirl overhead and all is well, it's a good start.

I arrive at the school, customary warm welcome, hand shakes from those nearby and the double clasped hand gesture that is used to welcome you from a distance- its nice to wanted. Pre-arranged I venture into a Year 1 class to observe the lesson. Its simple enough, make a table of food likes and dislikes. Some pupils have books, some have pencils or stubs that once were pencils, some have both. I sit next to boy who was at a table on his own. I speak to him, no reply. I try again to be informed by the teacher that he cannot/does not speak. I help him with the work whilst circulating and helping others – all smiles and gratitude. The mute boy finishes his work and is very, very proud, I know, I could see it in his eyes. My eyes were close to filling with tears. Sentimental I know but there it is. Good day continues. Children are breaking now for breakfast and I ask the Head Teacher if I can buy a roll. He says “I will go for you.” He gets on push-bike to cycle a round 4 km to bring me back some food – no question of payment, Then he disappears to return with some tea to wash down my breakfast.


 

After this I spend time in the nursery casually interacting with the children, I get paid for this! Eventually time to leave for home, ride home via the new bridge so no waiting for the ferry in the hot sun. Drink a bottle of near ice cold squash and look forward to dinner. A good day for Baks.

No comments: