Thursday, February 18, 2010

i saama

The day begins early with the call to prayer about half past 5.  An incessant tone that is beginning to have some rhythm although the words remain indistinguishable. This wakes the cockerel and he begins to crow in a strangely garbled manner.  I close my eyes to be re awakened with “where’s the toothpaste?” or “have you seen my flip flops?” (Confusingly called thongs by the Australians among us)
I disentangle myself from the mosquito net that magically wraps itself around me each night and wander to the bathroom.  The shower is cold.  The suggestion that cold showers are good is just plain wrong.  (I can’t wait to install the solar one that Ruth gave us) Gasp as the cold water hits me and helps to tame the horns that my hair has formed.  Pete brings a coffee.  Kenco with powdered milk.  It’s okay.  I begin to feel human.
Then it’s lotions and potions time.  First comes the ‘keep the wrinkles at bay’ serum, then the moisturiser, closely followed by the anti histamine bite relief, sun block and finally the sticky DEET.  Layers of protection.  Deodorant - essential, although not used by all.  Dance around until everything is dry and then dress for the day. (fab knickers – thanks Nicky)
I mooch through the outside door, with a nod to fellow wakers who are beginning to stir and swots who are studying their Mandinka ready for their lesson.
It is first light, the sun yet to be seen but is still beginning to warm the earth, with a slight breeze rustling through the trees.  The yard is rough stones but I watch as the flocks of birds form their m and fly across the pale blue sky.  A dragonfly darts in search of water.  The lizard crawls from under the stone to seek the heat of the day.  A sudden thump as a grapefruit relinquishes its grasp to the twig and plummets to the ground.  Some tiny birds with bright red breasts flutter to peck at the fruit with long angled beaks.
Return to the house where breakfast awaits – peanut butter sandwiches.  And so the day begins……………
(for photos see flickr) 

1 comment:

baz said...

Liz - have you thought about asking Pete to stop praying at 5.30every morning? Only a thought. Enjoying the blog.

Barry